Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Extreme Flight Edge 540T EXP__4s Video Showcase


Oddly enough, this is part three of our 48" Edge 540T EXP report. We just had a little trouble with the camera and that is what delayed our video coverage.

Notable differences from my 3s Edge is a Hi Tech HS85MG servo on the elevator, and also the new 6 volt Airboss 45 ESC. The 85MG has more torque and is a more robust servo, and when you add in the 6 volts supplied by the Airboss, you have absolute control authority. As you can see in the parachute and wall maneuvers, there is no stalling or blow back of the elevator servo. When I pull the elevator, it goes and it stays where I put it.

This actually took a little bit of adjusting to because this Edge has much better pitch authority than I was led to believe by my previous Edge. The HS65MG I had on the elevator of that plane was stalling, blowing back, and really crippling the airplane, though at the time I was otherwise enjoying it so much I didn't realize that I wasn't nearly tapping the plane's potential.

But now, I think we are getting a little closer........






UTTER RED ROCKS!



Coupled with the EXP's huge elevator and 90 degrees of movement, pitch maneuvers are nearly off the scale. Parachutes feature a satisfying "pop," and wall maneuvers truly are like the airplane has run into a solid wall, less the carnage, of course. I had to be a little careful in the beginning not to pull the airplane completely over on her back! When you pull the stick, the Edge responds.

Doing waterfalls with this plane are just plain easy. With all that elevator authority you can blow the tail right over the nose with about half throttle, though full throttle makes it whip around so quickly that you have to learn how to catch it exactly where you want it. This isn't a bad thing. It is easier to learn to deal with the extra authority than it is to hustle a less responsive plane. I've almost got the waterfall into a hover figured out, though I need to get it down on the deck a bit more.

I am still experimenting with tumbles. Past EXP experience shows these planes are about as bulletproof as they can be made, but now the Edge is capable of so much violence that I want to work up to really rowdy stuff like full throttle blenders a bit at a time. I've blown up a few lesser brand planes like this, and that can leave you a little paranoid.






I am still not afraid to throw the Edge into a full throttle tumble, though. As you can see in the video, she will turn herself right inside out on a dime when you hit it right.  Conversely, simply centering the controls makes her stop almost dead in her tracks. This works extremely well because if you are going to do low level violent stuff you  don't want the plane going off in a direction you weren't expecting. Controlling a good tumble and flying out of it is like calling your shot in billiards and then hitting it. Slop doesn't count in billiards and it doesn't count in precision extreme aerobatics, which is mostly enforced by the ground.

These things are much easier with the extra grunt afforded by the Thunder Power 4s 2700 30C Pro Power batteries. My examples have been charged fast, run hard and generally taxed almost to the point of abuse, yet they still deliver a charge of 16.82 or so and stay balanced almost every time. I only have four of these packs, so they have really had the cycles run through them in every single EXP I have ever owned. I am estimating they are well over 200 cycles each, but they are still very strong batteries. 


Still, we need to be flying what is current so we can keep our readers informed. With the new G4 Pro Powers on the market, we'll be hammering on some of those and reporting back.




NAIL
The Edge reveals a little more about herself every time we go out together. Of course, like any other plane, you have to learn her intricacies, but those came faster with the Edge than any other plane I can remember. None of her intricacies are bad, however. It is just things like hitting the timing perfect on a tumble, or getting the right amount of power down on a flat spin.

This has not at all been a difficult plane, except for maybe I have liked it too much and held back as a result. If anything, it has been the biggest joy to fly of any plane I can remember. By starting with a brand new concept in the EXP, flying on 3s and moving to 4s, it has been a valuable and rewarding learning experience. This plane has taught me a lot...... a whole lot.

I really, really loved my first Edge EXP, right up until I got killed flying it too stupid. If you fly that hard and then switch to something so completely extreme as an EXP, you have to expect a little of that is going to happen. I'm just really glad I have a well trimmed example, plus another under construction.

This is probably going to be my front line show off plane.


No comments:

Post a Comment